Saturday, November 05, 2011

What's for dinner? Sugar, Sugar and MORE SUGAR!

I've had a few people comment, "Seriously Jennifer, another diet?  You know as soon as you start eating normal again you are going to gain it all back."  LOL!  Eat NORMAL!  If I ate normal in the first place I wouldn't be overweight!

I'm from the south and southerners don't know nuttin' about nutrition.  Yes, we know that fast food is bad but I was raised to believe that a well rounded meal included a meat, potatoes or rice with gravy, vegetables and some kind of bread (usually cornbread or biscuits) and let's not forget lots of sweet tea!  Sounds pretty normal, right? LOL!
I've always heard that you should avoid white potatoes, white rice, white flour, white sugar, etc but never really understood why so I finally researched it.  Basically your body processes all of this stuff as sugar.  So at a "normal" meal I would eat white rice (sugar) and gravy made from white flour (sugar), a meat usually breaded and white flour (sugar) and fried, and of course bread made from white flour (sugar) but let's not forget the vegetables.  Those have to be good for you, right?  Not really because they are cooked with fatback (gross me out!) or bacon or ham and lots of salt for flavor.  Oh yeah, and sweet tea to wash it all down.  And if you ate all of your dinner then you got dessert...some kind of baked good (sugar)!
That's how I was raised, and that's how my mom, grandma, great-grandma, etc. were all raised.  We just didn't know any different.

One reason why I chose this program was to detox my body and mind from this way of eating and to learn new ways of eating.  I'm still eating the same things that I cook for Scott and Bryson just modified a little.  Cheeseburgers (homemade of course with 96/4 ground beef and fat free cheese) minus the bun and veggies instead of fries.  Turkey tacos with lots of lettuce minus the tortilla.  Roast beef with lots of veggies minus the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Will I ever eat "bad" foods again?  OF COURSE!  As a matter of fact I can't wait until this detox phase is over so I can bring back some of this stuff but I plan to do it in moderation.  I'm looking forward to having a Five Guys cheeseburger and fries and I hope it makes me so sick that the thought of Five Guys makes me nauseous! LOL!

As a side note...we went to Outback tonight and I wasn't even bothered by the TWO loaves of "warm right out of the oven" bread sitting on our table or Bryson's left over french fries that I normally would have gobbled up in a heartbeat. I must be making progress. :)

No comments: