Sunday, December 11, 2011

I want to be SUPERMAN!

I just finished reading one of my favorite books of all time "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.  If you haven't read it, you should.  The author wrote this book of "life lessons" for his three very young children after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given less than a year to live.

One chapter asks "Are you a fun-loving Tigger or a down in the dumps Eeyore?"  This reminded me of when my brother was about eight years old.  He had a dirt bike that he loved to ride on a track that he and my mom cleared across the street from their house.  He decided one day that he wanted to add a jump to the track.  He and my mom worked for a week digging and piling up dirt to build a huge jump.  When they were finished Logan was too scared to try it.  My mother got on Logan's dirt bike, drove it around  the track and gave it gas just as she approached the jump.  She and the dirt bike flew through the air.  She jumped so high her legs flew out to either side and her body lifted completely off of the seat.  Logan was amazed.  He screamed, "Mom, you looked like SUPERMAN!"

When my mother died several years later my grandmother, brother and I were at the hospital with her.  My grandmother asked Logan what his best memory of mom was and he said the time when mom made that jump on my dirt bike and looked like SUPERMAN!

I often wonder what Bryson will remember most about me.  I hope he will remember me as a mom that took him on a helium balloon ride at Disney or a mom that hiked waterfalls with him in the mountains or jumped waves with him at the beach, or paddled with him while white water rafting or showed him how to go crabbing with chicken necks or a mom that rode the biggest, scariest roller coaster sitting right next to him in the seat.  I want him to remember me as SUPERMAN!

No comments: